Serie A 2012/13: Top 10 Players – Week 12
At the bottom end of the table Palermo piled more misery upon Sampdoria in a feisty affair at the Renzo Barbera.
Here are the top 10 players…
10. Antonio Candreva (Lazio): Candreva has finally emerged at Lazio this season. A string of top performances have some believing he should be called up by Cesare Prandelli for the national side. Candreva shone throughout against Roma in the derby, looking to control Lazio’s play and made the best of the poor conditions. Scored a stunning free-kick to equalise for Lazio.
9. Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli): Insigne came off the bench to replace an injured Goran Pandev late in the first half. His introduction was crucial to Napoli’s revival, as provided a classy assist for Giandomenico Mesto to draw level. The midfielder then tested Frey with a close range effort and a stunning long-range strike. His final contribution was to burst through one-on-one with the goalkeeper and slot past him to seal Napoli’s fourth goal.
8. Marek Hamsik (Napoli): The Slovakian playmaker is often a top performer for the Neapolitans. His link up play with Edinson Cavani was exciting to watch, especially in the second half against Genoa. He slid a pinpoint pass through to the Uruguayan for Napoli’s second goal and gave them the lead with a diving header too. Genoa could not stop Sonic the Hedgehog.
7. Andrea Consigli (Atalanta): Consigli is one of Serie A’s up and coming goalkeepers. Having come through the youth-set up at his boy-hood club, he is ever present between the sticks. An outstanding performance against Internazionale helped the Gialoblu to a 3-2 win. Despite conceding two goals, the Italian made several top-notch saves, including a parry from Cambiasso and tipping Freddy Guarin’s long range shot around the post. There was little he could do about Guarin’s freekick, Inter’s second goal.
6. Borja Valero (Fiorentina): Valero helped lift Fiorentina to victory over an underwhelming AC Milan side, showing his counterparts, how to play flowing, passing football. He embarked upon a mazy run to score La Viola’s first goal, leaving defenders behind in his wake. Also helped Fiorentina circulate possession and is an essential part of Montella’s system.