Location: Via Giovanni De Prà, Genova
Built: 1911 (Revovated 1989)
Known as the “Marassi” for the area of Genoa in which it is situated, the Stadio Luigi Ferraris is one of the first and oldest stadiums used for football in the world.
The Marassi plays host to two Genovese sides, Genoa themselves, and Sampdoria, who became tenants in 1946.
It was opened in 1911, where Genoa played Inter on January 22nd. It also hosted the 1934 World Cup Game between Spain and Brazil, for which its capacity had been upgraded to 30,000.
The Marassi, like many stadia around Italy was renovated for the 1990 world cup, where it hosted four matches.
The Genoan stadium was also the backdrop for the recent hooliganism that surrounded the Italy vs. Serbia Euro Qualifier, in which the game was called off after six minutes due to flares and Serbian fan protests.
The Gentleman Ultra says…
Also known as the Marassi, the Stadio Luigi Ferraris is one of the oldest in Italy. Built in 1911 the stadium was originally property of Genoa and was the stage of Genoa’s early titles, won during Serie A’s primitive years. The stadium today is a daunting place with the crowd close to the pitch giving the players the feeling that they are enveloped.
One of the best examples of the atmosphere in the ground is evident during the Derby Della Lanterna in which Sampdoria take on Genoa. Arguably one of the most passionate derbies on the Peninsula, it transforms the stadium into a cauldron. Marcello Lippi has claimed that the game is ‘the most special in Italy’.
In these matches Genoa hold the Curva Nord with their Ultra groups such as the Fossa dei Griffoni, whilst Sampdoria take the Curva Sud with their Ultra groups which include the Ultras Tito Cucchiaroni.
The stadium had been updated for the 1990 World Cup and may be best remembered by British fans from the second round penalty shoot out between Ireland and Romania. It still is one of the best stadiums in Serie A today.