Date: 1st August 2012 at 12:53pm
Written by:

Name: Stadio Renzo Barbera – Formally Stadio Littorio (1932–1936), Stadio Michele Marrone (1936–1945), Stadio La Favorita (1945–2002)

Location: Viale del Fante, Palermo

Built: 1932

Capacity: 36,349

Stadio Renzo Barbera (previously and still commonly known as Stadio La Favorita) is a football stadium in Palermo, Italy. It is currently home of U.S. Città di Palermo football team.

The stadium was inaugurated on January 24, 1932 and was named Stadio Littorio in homage to Fascism. The opening match was Palermo vs Atalanta, with Palermo winning 5–1.

A track surrounded the pitch and there were no stands behind either goal. In 1936, the stadium was renamed Stadio Michele Marrone, in memory of a soldier killed during the Spanish Civil War.

The name was changed again at the end of World War II to Stadio La Favorita, from the name of the nearby ancient game preserve of Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor in the 13th century.

It was renovated in 1948, where the running track was removed, and stands were constructed behind each goal, as well as in 1989 for the following years World Cup, where its capacity was lowered to the now 36, 349.

On September 18, 2002 the stadium was renamed as Renzo Barbera, past chairman of Palermo in the club’s last Serie A tenure, as well as the two Coppa Italia finals throughout the 1960s and the 1970s, who had died that same year on May 19.

In the 2004-05 Serie A campaign, which marked the first Palermo appearance in the top division in over 30 years, all seats in the stadium were already assigned in the summer to season-ticket holders. However, this was not repeated in the next years.

Palermo, or more specifically President Maurizio Zamparini have announced that there are plans in place to built a stadium owned by Palermo F.C, rather than the municipality of Palermo.

Stadio Renzo Barbera - Inside

The Gentleman Ultra…

Built during the height of fascism in Italy, this stadium in Palermo was finished in 1932. Through its history it has had to endure gradual renovations and three name changes before settling into the grand structure it is today. The most recent was after Palermo had been chosen as the only city in Sicily to host World Cup matches in 1990.

The stadium got a complete face lift as well as lowering the capacity to make sure it was an all-seater. The structure was known as the Stadio La Favorita until 2002 before being renamed after a former President, becoming the Renzo Barbera. Fans in Sicily are passionate to say the least and Palermo find that their stadium – although not always full – always has a large crowd.

One of the most colourful grounds to visit in the league (and not just because of the pink kit), the Stadio Renzo Barbera is always awash with flags, flares and banners. The W.U.P (Warriors Ultras Palermo) are always out in support although they have been prone to violence on some occasions, most notably when they play rivals Catania.

 
Become a Patron!