Ryan Ross Date: 16th July 2014 at 6:18pm
Written by:

Roberto Mancini has firmly denied that Juventus approached the former Internazionale and Manchester City manager to replace the outgoing Antonio Conte as coach following the latter’s departure on Tuesday evening.

The Bianconeri have since gone on to appoint former AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri on a two-year contract.

“Juventus never pursued me, maybe I cost too much!” Mancini told Sky Sport Italia.

“It’s difficult to judge from the outside. The only thing that could be a problem is that the team were at a training camp with him.

“Conte had been coaching them for three years and he knew what the problems could be.”

Mancini stated his belief that Conte would be in a new role before long and implied the former Bianconeri coach could look abroad as well as domestically.

“I was working abroad for many years and there are a lot of opportunities,” Mancini continued. “Juventus are a big club, like AC Milan, Inter and Napoli who can win.”

Mancini also took time to speak on his own future, stating he dreams of returning to one of his former teams.

“Bologna and Sampdoria are two teams that I have in my heart, although at the moment there is nothing,” he said. “I had the good fortune to coach in England and Turkey; to work abroad is always a good experience.”

Speaking on another of his former teams, Inter, Mancini wished them well.

“Inter, I think it’s a project a bit ‘more long-term’ that Rome and Naples, but I certainly wish to see them win the Scudetto.”

Follow Ryan Ross on Twitter: @rross11