Sampdoria have a big chance to increase hated rivals Genoa’s relegation worries when they meet at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris on Wednesday night (kick-off 21:45).
Sampdoria (4-4-2): Audero; Bereszynski, Yoshida, Colley, Augello; Depaoli, Thorsby, Ekdal, Jankto; Bonazzoli, Quagliarella.
Unavailable: Radovanovic, Sturaro.
– This will be the 74th Derby della Lanterna in Serie A: Sampdoria have won 29 games to Genoa’s 17, with 27 draws.
– Sampdoria are unbeaten in their last seven derbies against Genoa (W5 D2), their longest unbeaten run since 1994.
– Genoa have won the Derby only eight times as a visiting team, with Sampdoria winning 14 times (14 draws).
– Over the last 13 matches between Genoa and Sampdoria played in the second half of the season, no side has managed consecutive wins in this fixture – Sampdoria won the last one back in April 2019.
– Sampdoria won their last two home games without conceding a single goal – the last time they won three in a row keeping three clean sheets was in January 2019.
– This is only the third time that Sampdoria scored at least three goals in three consecutive Serie A games, also doing so in 1948 and 1951. They’ve never managed to do so in four consecutive games in the top-flight.
– Sampdoria have won more points than any other Serie A team in July (15 – W5 L1).
– Three of Fabio Quagliarella’s five goals in the Derby della Lanterna came in their last five meetings, while he had scored only two in the previous 14.
– Genoa have won 33.3% of the games they played with Antonio Sanabria as a starter (five of 15), while they’ve won only 15.8% of the games he didn’t start.