One of the best football leagues in the world, the Italian Serie A, is taking place right now. With the season running all the way until June 2023, there are dozens of high-quality games to be watched. Those who are not located in Italy do not need to worry, as the use of a virtual private network means that football fans across the world can easily watch Serie A regardless of their location.
The Need for Virtual Private Networks
A big reason why professional sports is financially viable is due to the significant amounts of money paid by broadcasters for the rights to screen certain events.
These broadcasting rights are almost always location-specific, meaning that a broadcaster may get the rights to screen a football match in America, but nowhere else in the world. As a result, broadcasters are required to geo-lock their content, making it inaccessible to users anywhere except from an IP address within that physical location.
Thankfully, this is where virtual private networks (VPNs) come in handy. The way that these services work is they provide you with an IP address from the country of your choosing, essentially making it look like you’re in a certain country, without ever needing to be there physically. This negates any geo-locking, as the broadcaster thinks you’re tuning in from their own region.
How to Get Started With A VPN
Here’s a step-by-step guide of exactly what’s required in order to use a VPN to stream matches outside of your area, so that you will be able to watch your favorite Serie A matches:
- Select a VPN provider. There are a variety of different providers, ranging from free to upwards of $100 per year, all with different features. The key thing to look for is if they offer a server in the country you are wanting to stream content from.
- Install the VPN’s software. Good VPNs will have both mobile and desktop applications, suitable for all major operating systems.
- Select a Serie A broadcaster. The league will have a page on its website articulating which broadcasters have the rights in different countries, with some of the popular ones outlined below as well.
- Connect to the VPN’s server in that location. For example, if you’ve opted to watch Series A on BT Sport in the United Kingdom, then you’ll need to find a server in the United Kingdom in order to connect.
- Watch and enjoy! If the video does not load, often clearing your cookies will help, or trying a different server from the same country.
Most Popular Serie A Broadcasters
With a VPN all set up, all that is left is to select which Serie A broadcaster to tune into to watch your favorite game. Here’s an overview of some of the top broadcasters to watch the Serie A through:
- The United Kingdom—BT Sport
- Australia—beIN Sports
To watch Serie A from anywhere in the world, simply get a subscription to any of the above providers, set your location to the corresponding country, then watch away.
Photo by Unsplash